High-quality A3 film and graphics scanner for sharp and accurate capturing of plans, x-rays, film negatives, with the precision users demand. The Expression 12000XL Pro is a high-resolution A3 scanner designed to meet the most demanding graphic arts applications. Featuring Epson Scan advanced imaging features, an LED light source, and exceptional SilverFast Ai 8.8 imageprocessing functions, this scanner offers excellent image reproduction.
In the field of A3 scans the Epson Expression 12000XL is the unchallenged top-model when it comes to quality and functionality.
With the here offered Pro-variant the transarency unit is already included, so that you can can not only paper material but also film material up to a size of 309 x 420 mm. In case of using two identical film holders in batch mode you are able to scan either 30 35 mm slides, 48 pictures on 35 mm filmstrip negatives, up to 6 medium format slides of 17.2 cm length or up to 8 large format films 4x5''.
Thanks to the Expression 12000XL Pro's top-of-the-range scanning technology, users can achieve extremely high-quality image reproduction up to A3 format. Easy-to-use, Epson Scan operates in either automatic or professional modes, allowing users to optimise their scanning results.
The Epson Expression 12000xl is one of the few flatbed scanners which has not a fix focus but an auto focus. In this point it distinguishes from all other smaller Epson scanners. If you order the Epson Expression 12000xl Pro with the software variant SilverFast Ai Studio, you can position the autofocus at an arbitrary point on the picture and you even can set the focus layer manually using a slider.
The Expression 12000XL Pro's optical density of 3.8 DMax and 48-bit colour depth ensure sharp and accurate scanning for full reproduction of the widest range of colours, even in shadow areas. In addition, the high 2400 x 4800dpi resolution and ultra-precise Micro Step Drive technology, enable users to capture even the tiniest details with exceptional clarity.
A comprehensive package of bundled software and imaging technology ensures the Expression 12000 XL Pro can perform a wide range of functions easily and efficiently. Epson Scan comes with useful features for removing dust noise and grain reduction to smooth the appearance of images. For hobbyists and amateur photographers, the optional Adobe® Photoshop® Elements has sophisticated and easy-to-use editing tools to manipulate images. For advanced users, SilverFast Ai8 is also included, with an intuitive user-friendly interface and image-processing functions to help get even closer to perfect image reproduction. Additionaly you can choose Ai Studio or Archive Suite.
The included transparency unit enables users to scan from transparency media, such as positive or negative film and slides, with professional results.
- A3 graphic scanner: Professional results up to A3 format
- Superior quality: 2,400 x 4,800dpi resolution
- High precision: Micro Step Drive technology
- Powerful software: Silverfast Ai8 with IT8 calibration (according to your choice above)
- Transparency unit: Scan slides, film and negatives
Please, choose above, below the price information, between the SilverFast Ai Studio version and the SilverFast Archive Suite (Archive Suite = SilverFast Ai Studio + SilverFast HDR Studio). The main advanteges of the Ai Studio Version in comparison to the Ai Version are the following functions: Multi-Exposure, Auto-Adaptive Contrast Optimisation (AACO) and the automatic frame detection and frame alignment. The Multi-Exposure-Function leads to a drastic improvement of image quality, since templates are scanned using varying exposure settings and calculating the optimal image from it (see our SilverFast FAQ page for further information). The automatic contrast optimization AACO further enhances details of images with high dynamic range / high contrast. The automatic frame detection automatically detects individual templates on the glass surface, and the automatic frame alignment automatically straigthens these if necessary. This saves lots of time and precision work in day-to-day scanning. The SilverFast Archive Suite additionally includes the software SilverFast HDR Studio, using which raw scans can be generated and processed later on. Further information on this can be found on our page SilverFast HDR Studio.
Also, please, choose above, below the prize information, your desired 10x15cm reflective targets (Kodak, Fuji) or 6x7cm transparent targets (Kodak, Fuji) for the IT-8 colour calibration. If you need additional transparency targets (Kodak, Fuji, Kodachrome) for scanning film material, you find them in our category IT-8 targets. Detailed information about SilverFast and the available targets can be found on our SilverFast website. Information about SilverFast HDR can be found on our SilverFast HDR website. Information about scanner calibration can be found on our page Scanner IT-8 calibration.
Please, choose above, below the price information, if you want to order the scanner with or without Adobe® Photoshop® Elements.
Using the SilverFast-Option printer calibration, you can calibrate your color printer. In order to do so, a test chart is printed and afterwards scanned using SilverFast. Thereafter, by matching the print against a reference file, a printer profile is generated specifically for your printer and the combination of paper and ink used.
- Scanner type: Graphics Scanner
- Scanning Resolution: 2.400 dpi x 4.800 dpi (Horizontal x Vertical)
- Scanning range reflected light area 310 mm x 437 mm
- Scanning range transmitted light area 310 mm x 419 mm
- Auto focus / manual focus
- Paper Formats: A3, A4, A5, B4, B5
- Color Depth: Input: 16 Bits Color / 16 Bits Monochrome, Output: 48 Bits Color / 48 Bits Monochrome
- Light source: ReadyScan LED technology
- Scanning speed: monochrome: 12 s/page - Colour 12 s/page measured with size: A4, resolution 300dpi - monochrome: 2,7 ms/row - colour: 8 ms/row measured with size: A3, resolution: 300 dpi
- Output formats BMP, JPEG, TIFF, multi-TIFF, PDF
- Interfaces USB 2.0 Type B
- Product dimensions 656 x 458 x 292 mm (Width x Depth x Height)
- Product weight 20.5
- Work surrounding: Humidity Operation 10% - 80%, Storage 10% - 85% Temperature Operation 5°C - 35°C, Storage 25°C - 60°C
SilverFast 8 feature highlights
- The new SilverFast 8 Preview Concept allows to assess the results even for complicated image optimization functions, such as iSRD and USM, at any time. A 100% zoom facilitates to properly evaluate and set the parameters of these tools.
- The user interface of SilverFast 8 has been completely redeveloped according to current standards. The controls can be arranged flexibly and freely on the screen according to personal preferences. All major functions can be operated quickly and easily.
- SilverFast 8 is fully capable of multitasking. For example, if several originals are to be scanned one after another, the user can already set the image optimization options for the second scan while the scanner is digitizing the first original.
- SilverFast SCC is a tool to perform a selective color correction in a very simple manner. Selective color correction means that a single color is selected and changed specifically, but all other colors remain unchanged. A mouse click in the preview window easily selects the color to be changed: SilverFast's Selective Color Correction is particularly intuitive.
- The Global Color Correction is an intuitive tool for controlling the color balance of the whole image. Particularly older images often show color casts that can be removed easily with GCC. The possibility to restrict modifications to half and quarter tones, allows effortless optimization of even those color shifts that are only visible in the very light or very shadowy image areas.
- The WorkflowPilot is a wizard that guides the user in the correct order through all required processing steps. Depending on material and intended purpose there is a different workflow that will be worked on with the WorkflowPilot step by step.
- SilverFast HiRePP will dramatically speed up the process of loading and working large image files.
Ai 8 does not support: Multi-Exposure, AACO, Auto frame alignment and rotation
Scope of delivery
- Scanner Epson Expression 12000 XL Pro
- Transparency Unit
- Driver and utilities (CD)
- Power supply
- Setup guide
- USB cable
- Warranty document
- SilverFast Ai 8 / Ai Studio 8 / Archive Suite 8 according to your choice above
- Optional: IT-8 10x15cm reflective targets according to your choice above
- Optional: IT-8 35mm transparent targets according to your choice above
- Optional: IT-8 6x7cm transparent targets according to your choice above
- Optional: Adobe® Photoshop® Elements according to your choice above
- Windows 64-bit systems: Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8, 10
- MAC 64-bit systems: Mac OS X from 10.7
- 2 GHz Processor or faster (Multi-core recommended)
- 2 GB RAM main memory (4 GB RAM recommended)
- 2 GB free space on hard disk drive for the software file
- Up to 20 GB free space on the main system hard disk drive for the cache
- DVD drive or internet connection
- Latest firmware installed on scanner device
SilverFast 8 supports Photoshop CS3 to CS6 and CC.
(Photoshop CS6 and higher on OS X are only supported if 64 bit drivers are
available for the scanner.)
SilverFast 8 supports Photoshop Elements 8 to 13.
SilverFast 8 can also be installed on Windows as a TWAIN module.
Note: SilverFast 8 is Intel native software and thus it is not available for
PowerPC Mac systems (Those G4-microprocessors were only produced until the End of
Due to the size of the device and its packaging shipment is only possible with DPD. Even if you choose DHL as shipment service, we have to send the parcel with DPD to you.
The Epson Expression 12000xl Pro has such a big transparency unit that you can put on 2 film holders and scan them at a time. With a second film holder for mounted slides you can scan 30 mounted slides in batch mode. Of course you can also use a second 35mm film strip holder
or a second medium format film holder
or a second large format film holder
in order to double the scan capacity of the scanner.
For the cleaning of the glass surface of the scanner we recommend the scanner cleaning set from Kinetronics. The set consists of an anti static cloth, with which you can clean the complete glass surface, and an anti static brush for cleaning smaller parts, but also for cleaning film material. Both the cloth and the brush have the special feature that they remove static charges, which adduct dust magically.
If the glass surface of the scanner is covered with strong dust we recommend the use of the Kinetronics cleaning fluid PLCD. That's a high value cleaning fluid, which has been developed especially for the cleaning of optical glasses and glass surfaces. With a couple of drops you can effectively remove dust and dirt.
When working with film strips it can often happen that you accidentally touch the emulsion side of the film. The damage often is irreparable. You can avoid damages to the film material and comfortably insert film strips into the scanner or film holder by wearing fine cotton gloves.
Anti-dust spray is used to clean film material - no matter if it's mounted slides or film strips - by removing dust and fluffs with a flimsy current of air without touching the film material at all. There is no better, more comfortable and more efficient way to clean your film material.
For working with single negatives or positives we highly recommend using tweezers, because otherwise you run the risk of touching and damaging the film.
Those who work
with digital images - no matter if they come from a digital camera or from a film
scanner - should absolutely calibrate their screen. Without a screen calibration
performed with objective criteria you run the risk of wrongly adjusting the settings of
the scan or the image editing software, which makes the image look right on your
screen, but will cause unnatural alienated colours on other output devices (printer,
image service, new screen).