High-quality A3 graphics scanner for sharp and accurate image reproduction of plans, x-rays, film negatives, with the precision users demand. The Expression 12000XL is a high-resolution A3 scanner designed to meet the most demanding graphic arts applications. Featuring Epson Scan advanced imaging features, an LED light source, and exceptional SilverFast Ai 8.8 imageprocessing functions, this scanner offers excellent image reproduction.
In the field of A3 scans the Epson Expression 12000XL is the unchallenged top-model when it comes to quality and functionality.
Thanks to the Expression 12000XL's top-of-the-range scanning technology, users can achieve extremely high-quality image reproduction up to A3 format. Easy-to-use, Epson Scan operates in either automatic or professional modes, allowing users to optimise their scanning results.
The Expression 12000XL's optical density of 3.8 DMax and 48-bit colour depth ensure sharp and accurate scanning for full reproduction of the widest range of colours, even in shadow areas. In addition, the high 2400 x 4800dpi resolution and ultra-precise Micro Step Drive technology, enable users to capture even the tiniest details with exceptional clarity.
The Epson Expression 12000xl is one of the few flatbed scanners which are not equipped with a fixed focus but with an auto focus or a manual focus, respectively. In this matter it defers from all smaller Epson scanners.
A comprehensive package of bundled software and imaging technology ensures the Expression 12000 XL can perform a wide range of functions easily and efficiently. Epson Scan comes with useful features for removing dust noise and grain reduction to smooth the appearance of images. For hobbyists and amateur photographers, the optional Adobe® Photoshop® Elements has sophisticated and easy-to-use editing tools to manipulate images. For advanced users, SilverFast Ai8 is also included, with an intuitive user-friendly interface and image-processing functions to help get even closer to perfect image reproduction. Additionaly you can choose Ai Studio 8 or Archive Suite 8.
Please, choose above, below the price information, between the SilverFast Ai Studio version and the SilverFast Archive Suite (Archive Suite = SilverFast Ai Studio + SilverFast HDR Studio). The main advanteges of the Ai Studio Version in comparison to the Ai Version are the following functions: Multi-Exposure, Auto-Adaptive Contrast Optimisation (AACO) and the automatic frame detection and frame alignment. The Multi-Exposure-Function leads to a drastic improvement of image quality, since templates are scanned using varying exposure settings and calculating the optimal image from it (see our SilverFast FAQ page for further information). The automatic contrast optimization AACO further enhances details of images with high dynamic range / high contrast. The automatic frame detection automatically detects individual templates on the glass surface, and the automatic frame alignment automatically straigthens these if necessary. This saves lots of time and precision work in day-to-day scanning. The SilverFast Archive Suite additionally includes the software SilverFast HDR Studio, using which raw scans can be generated and processed later on. Further information on this can be found on our page SilverFast HDR Studio.
Also, please, choose above, below the prize information, your desired 10x15cm reflective targets (Kodak, Fuji) for the IT-8 colour calibration. If you need additional transparency targets (Kodak, Fuji, Kodachrome) for scanning film material, you find them in our category IT-8 targets. Detailed information about SilverFast and the available targets can be found on our SilverFast website. Information about SilverFast HDR can be found on our SilverFast HDR website. Information about scanner calibration can be found on our page Scanner IT-8 calibration.
Please, choose above, below the price information, if you want to order the scanner with or without Adobe® Photoshop® Elements.
Using the SilverFast-Option printer calibration, you can calibrate your color printer. In order to do so, a test chart is printed and afterwards scanned using SilverFast. Thereafter, by matching the print against a reference file, a printer profile is generated specifically for your printer and the combination of paper and ink used.
- Scanner type: Graphics Scanner
- Scanning Resolution: 2.400 dpi x 4.800 dpi (Horizontal x Vertical)
- Scanning range reflected light area 310 mm x 437 mm
- Auto focus / manual focus
- Paper Formats: A3, A4, A5, B4, B5
- Color Depth: Input: 16 Bits Color / 16 Bits Monochrome, Output: 48 Bits Color / 48 Bits Monochrome
- Light source: ReadyScan LED Technique
- Scanning speed: monochrome: 12 s/page - Colour 12 s/page measured with size: A4, resolution 300dpi
- Output formats: BMP, JPEG, TIFF, multi-TIFF, PDF
- Interfaces USB 2.0 Type B
- Product dimensions 656 x 458 x 158 mm (Width x Depth x Height)
- Product weight 14.3 kg
- Work surrounding: Humidity Operation 10% - 80%, Storage 10% - 85% Temperature Operation 5°C - 35°C, Storage 25°C - 60°C
SilverFast 8 feature highlights
- The new SilverFast 8 Preview Concept allows to assess the results even for complicated image optimization functions, such as iSRD and USM, at any time. A 100% zoom facilitates to properly evaluate and set the parameters of these tools.
- The user interface of SilverFast 8 has been completely redeveloped according to current standards. The controls can be arranged flexibly and freely on the screen according to personal preferences. All major functions can be operated quickly and easily.
- SilverFast 8 is fully capable of multitasking. For example, if several originals are to be scanned one after another, the user can already set the image optimization options for the second scan while the scanner is digitizing the first original.
- SilverFast SCC is a tool to perform a selective color correction in a very simple manner. Selective color correction means that a single color is selected and changed specifically, but all other colors remain unchanged. A mouse click in the preview window easily selects the color to be changed: SilverFast's Selective Color Correction is particularly intuitive.
- The Global Color Correction is an intuitive tool for controlling the color balance of the whole image. Particularly older images often show color casts that can be removed easily with GCC. The possibility to restrict modifications to half and quarter tones, allows effortless optimization of even those color shifts that are only visible in the very light or very shadowy image areas.
- The WorkflowPilot is a wizard that guides the user in the correct order through all required processing steps. Depending on material and intended purpose there is a different workflow that will be worked on with the WorkflowPilot step by step.
- SilverFast HiRePP will dramatically speed up the process of loading and working large image files.
Ai 8 does not support: Multi-Exposure, AACO, Auto frame alignment and rotation
Scope of delivery
- Scanner Epson Expression 12000 XL
- Driver and utilities (CD)
- Power supply
- Setup guide
- USB cable
- Warranty document
- SilverFast Ai 8 / Ai Studio 8 / Archive Suite 8 according to your choice above
- Optional: IT-8 10x15cm reflective targets according to your choice above
- Optional: Adobe® Photoshop® Elements according to your choice above
- Windows 64-bit systems: Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8, 10
- MAC 64-bit systems: Mac OS X from 10.7
- 2 GHz Processor or faster (Multi-core recommended)
- 2 GB RAM main memory (4 GB RAM recommended)
- 2 GB free space on hard disk drive for the software file
- Up to 20 GB free space on the main system hard disk drive for the cache
- DVD drive or internet connection
- Latest firmware installed on scanner device
- Photoshop Elements 9: Windows XP - 10, Mac OS 10.5.8 - 10.14
- Photoshop Elements 12: Windows 7 - 10, Mac OS 10.7 - 10.14
SilverFast 8 supports Photoshop CS3 to CS6 and CC.
(Photoshop CS6 and higher on OS X are only supported if 64 bit drivers are
available for the scanner.)
SilverFast 8 supports Photoshop Elements 8 to 13.
SilverFast 8 can also be installed on Windows as a TWAIN module.
Note: SilverFast 8 is Intel native software and thus it is not available for
PowerPC Mac systems (Those G4-microprocessors were only produced until the End of
Due to the size of the device and its packaging shipment is only possible with DPD. Even if you choose DHL as shipment service, we have to send the parcel with DPD to you.
For the cleaning of the glass surface of the scanner we recommend the scanner cleaning set from Kinetronics. The set consists of an anti static cloth, with which you can clean the complete glass surface, and an anti static brush for cleaning smaller parts, but also for cleaning film material. Both the cloth and the brush have the special feature that they remove static charges, which adduct dust magically.
If the glass surface of the scanner is covered with strong dust we recommend the use of the Kinetronics cleaning fluid PLCD. That's a high value cleaning fluid, which has been developed especially for the cleaning of optical glasses and glass surfaces. With a couple of drops you can effectively remove dust and dirt.
When working with film strips it can often happen that you accidentally touch the emulsion side of the film. The damage often is irreparable. You can avoid damages to the film material and comfortably insert film strips into the scanner or film holder by wearing fine cotton gloves.
Anti-dust spray is used to clean film material - no matter if it's mounted slides or film strips - by removing dust and fluffs with a flimsy current of air without touching the film material at all. There is no better, more comfortable and more efficient way to clean your film material.
For working with single negatives or positives we highly recommend using tweezers, because otherwise you run the risk of touching and damaging the film.
If you work with digital images - no matter if they come from a digital camera or from a film scanner - you should calibrate your screen. Without a screen calibration performed with objective criteria you run the risk of wrongly adjusting the settings of the scan or the image editing software, which makes the image look right on your screen, but will cause unnatural alienated colours on other output devices (printer, image service, new screen).