Featuring enhanced high-pass optics that deliver the highest
level of image quality with faster scan speeds, the V850 Pro can
convert a wide range of media and film formats into
professional-quality digital images. This high-productivity
6400dpi scanner requires virtually no warm-up time, can remove
dust and scratches automatically and includes a set of highquality
The Epson Perfection V850 Pro shows its best quality when operated with the professional scan software SilverFast Ai Studio + IT-8 target calibration. In order to achieve the best image quality we recommend to use SilverFast Ai Studio. With the SilverFast IT-8 colour calibration it is possible to calibrate your scanner individually and work within a professional colour management workflow. Thus the image quality of the scanner can be considerably increased and you do not have to spend a lot of time for extensive image editing after scanning. We offer the Epson Perfection V850 Pro together with the SilverFast scan software for a low bundle price
Alternative film holders:
As you can read in our Review about the Epson Perfection V850 Pro
the film holders have a height adjustment and a glass cover. As an alternative you can use the film holders without glass
from the predecessor model. They can be loaded with 4 35mm film strips instead of 3, with 2 medium format film strips instaed of 1 or with 2 4x5" large format films instead of 1. Due to the scanning without glass you can avoid disturbing Newton rings.
Please, choose above, below the price information, if you want to order the scanner with or without Adobe® Photoshop® Elements.
- Choice of resolutionThe V850 Pro features a dual lens system that automatically selects the optimal lens, with up to 4800dpi optical resolution for photo scanning and 6400dpi when scanning using film holders.
- Scan from any source Scan a range of film formats in sharp focus thanks to the improved quality film holders with their adjustable height control and rigid design. The V850 Pro also supports film formats up to 8x10 inch when placed directly on the scanner glass.
- High productivity Epson's ReadyScan LED light source has a warm up time of less than one second, so scaning can start almost instanly. Two sets of film holders means you can prepare a second set of orginals for scanning while the first is still scanning.
- Cleans-up images Digital ICE Technologies automatically removes imperfections such as dust, hair, scratches and fingerprints from both film1 and photos to restore images to their former glory with the minimum of effort.
- The right tone Take advantage of excellent tone reproduction with 4.0 DMax optical density.The V850 Pro can detect the exact tonal range of the original, making sure the brightest and darkest areas of images are accurately reproduced to reveal impressive detail and dynamic range.
- Professional quality scanning: Slides, film, medium format & prints
- Dual lens system: Swaps between 6400dpi for slides and film, and 4800dpi for photos
- Removes imperfections: Digital ICE Technologies cleans-up old film and photos
- Dynamic range: Accuratly reproduce tonal range and gradation of the original
- High productivity: One second warm up time and two sets of film holders
- Flatbed scanner with transparency unit
- Scanning Resolution 6.400dpi (Horizontal x Vertical)
- Optical Resolution 6.400dpi
- Optical Density 4 Dmax
- Light Source White LED, IR LED with ReadyScan LED Technology
- Color Depth Input: 48BitsColor, Output: 48BitsColor
- Interfaces Hi-Speed USB - compatible with USB 2.0 specification
- Product dimensions 503x308x152mm (Width x Depth x Height)
- Product weight 6,6kg
Supported film formats
- three 35 mm film strips with 6 frames
- 35 mm slide film x 12 images, all established mount thicknesses
- 120/220-Film (max. 6 x 20 cm) 2 frames
- 5 x 4 Zoll 2 frames
- 203 x 254 mm (with film area guide)
SilverFast 8 feature highlights
- The new SilverFast 8 Preview Concept allows to assess the results even for complicated image optimization functions, such as iSRD and USM, at any time. A 100% zoom facilitates to properly evaluate and set the parameters of these tools.
- The user interface of SilverFast 8 has been completely redeveloped according to current standards. The controls can be arranged flexibly and freely on the screen according to personal preferences. All major functions can be operated quickly and easily.
- SilverFast 8 is fully capable of multitasking. For example, if several originals are to be scanned one after another, the user can already set the image optimization options for the second scan while the scanner is digitizing the first original.
- SilverFast SCC is a tool to perform a selective color correction in a very simple manner. Selective color correction means that a single color is selected and changed specifically, but all other colors remain unchanged. A mouse click in the preview window easily selects the color to be changed: SilverFast's Selective Color Correction is particularly intuitive.
- The Global Color Correction is an intuitive tool for controlling the color balance of the whole image. Particularly older images often show color casts that can be removed easily with GCC. The possibility to restrict modifications to half and quarter tones, allows effortless optimization of even those color shifts that are only visible in the very light or very shadowy image areas.
- The WorkflowPilot is a wizard that guides the user in the correct order through all required processing steps. Depending on material and intended purpose there is a different workflow that will be worked on with the WorkflowPilot step by step.
- SilverFast HiRePP will dramatically speed up the process of loading and working large image files.
Scope of delivery
- Scanner Epson V850 Photo with transparency Unit
- Flm holders for 35mm film strips, 35mm mounted slides, medium format films and 4x5" films
- Epson Software CD
- Setup guide
- SilverFast SE 8 Plus 8 (according to your choice above)
- Optional: Adobe® Photoshop® Elements (according to your choice above)
- AC Power Adapter and Cord
- USB Cable
- Windows 64-bit systems: Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8, 10
- MAC 64-bit systems: Mac OS X from 10.7
- 2 GHz Processor or faster (Multi-core recommended)
- 2 GB RAM main memory (4 GB RAM recommended)
- 2 GB free space on hard disk drive for the software file
- Up to 20 GB free space on the main system hard disk drive for the cache
- DVD drive or internet connection
- Latest firmware installed on scanner device
- Photoshop Elements 9: Windows XP - 10, Mac OS 10.5.8 - 10.14
- Photoshop Elements 12: Windows 7 - 10, Mac OS 10.7 - 10.14
SilverFast 8 supports Photoshop CS3 to CS6 and CC.
(Photoshop CS6 and higher on OS X are only supported if 64 bit drivers are
available for the scanner.)
SilverFast 8 supports Photoshop Elements 8 to 13.
SilverFast 8 can also be installed on Windows as a TWAIN module.
Note: SilverFast 8 is Intel native software and thus it is not available for
PowerPC Mac systems (Those G4-microprocessors were only produced until the End of
Compard to the predecessor model Epson delivers the V800/V850 with film holders with glass covers. As you can read in our review these glass covers have a negative impact on the image quality. That's why we recommend to use film holders without glass. Except the here shown 35mm film holder without glass there is also a medium format film holder without glass
and a 4x5" large format film holder without glass
. Additionally, these film holders have the advantage that they can be loaded with more film material at a time: 4 35mm film strips instead of 3, 2 medium format film strips instead of 1 and 2 4x5" large format films instead of 1.
For the cleaning of the glass surface of the scanner we recommend the scanner cleaning set from Kinetronics. The set consists of an anti static cloth, with which you can clean the complete glass surface, and an anti static brush for cleaning smaller parts, but also for cleaning film material. Both the cloth and the brush have the special feature that they remove static charges, which adduct dust magically.
If the glass surface of the scanner is covered with strong dust we recommend the use of the Kinetronics cleaning fluid PLCD. That's a high value cleaning fluid, which has been developed especially for the cleaning of optical glasses and glass surfaces. With a couple of drops you can effectively remove dust and dirt.
When working with film strips it can often happen that you accidentally touch the emulsion side of the film. The damage often is irreparable. You can avoid damages to the film material and comfortably insert film strips into the scanner or film holder by wearing fine cotton gloves.
Anti-dust spray is used to clean film material - no matter if it's mounted slides or film strips - by removing dust and fluffs with a flimsy current of air without touching the film material at all. There is no better, more comfortable and more efficient way to clean your film material.
For working with single negatives or positives we highly recommend using tweezers, because otherwise you run the risk of touching and damaging the film.
If you work with digital images - no matter if they come from a digital camera or from a film scanner - you should calibrate your screen. Without a screen calibration performed with objective criteria you run the risk of wrongly adjusting the settings of the scan or the image editing software, which makes the image look right on your screen, but will cause unnatural alienated colours on other output devices (printer, image service, new screen).