The Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED is a real alternative for very expensive drum scanners. The Super Coolscan 9000 is a award-winning medium format scanner which accepts virtually any format up to 6x9cm. The scanner provides an extremely good image quality at 4000 dpi resolution. As you can see on our film scanner ranking list
the Nikon LS-9000 ED is the top model among all film scanners ever built. It is exceeded only from the Hasselblad drum scanners. Additionally, it is the only scanner which provides very good results when scanning Kodachrome films, see our site about Kodachrome-Films
for more details.
The Nikon Super CoolScan 9000 ED is the best film scanner ever built. No manufacturer has ever brought a device on the market which was nearly equal to the Nikon LS-9000. As an alternative we recommend you our Scan-Service
. We scan negatives and slides with the Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED.
As you can read in our detailed test report
about the Nikon LS-9000ED, there are numerous film holders
available for this device. Especially with the help of the glass holders almost any film up to a size of 6x9 cm can be scanned in best quality.
For those who put much importance to best image quality, there is no alternative to the Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED, except even more expensive drum scsanners. And even drum scanners don't have the automatic dust and scratch correction so that one can confidently designate the Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED as the best film scanner ever built.
Please, choose above, below the price information, between the SilverFast Ai Studio version and the SilverFast Archive Suite (Archive Suite = SilverFast Ai Studio + SilverFast HDR Studio). Also, please, choose above your desired targets (Kodak, Fuji, Kodachrome) for the IT-8 colour calibration. Detailed information about SilverFast and the available targets can be found on our SilverFast website. Information about SilverFast HDR can be found on our SilverFast HDR website. Information about scanner calibration can be found on our page Scanner IT-8 calibration.
Please, choose above, below the price information, if you want to order the scanner with or without Adobe® Photoshop® Elements.
- Optica resolution: 4000 dpi
- 16 Bit A/D conversion
- 48 Bit colour depth
- Density range: 4,8
- Scan area max: 56,9 x 83,7 mm
- Output colour depth 8 Bit or 16 Bit per colour channel
- Multiple scan
- Fast auto focus
- Digital ICE4 Advanced with Digital ICE Professional
- IEEE 1394 interface (Firewire)
- Light source: four components LED for R, G und B and infrared (for defects on the film surface)
- New improved image processing algorithm for scanning colour negatives
- Dimensions approx. (W x H x D) 249 x 202 x 499 mm
- Weight: approx. 9 kg
Supported film formats
- Medium format film (120/220)
- 35 mm film strips with up to 6 frames
- Mounted 35mm slides (mount thickness: 1 mm - 3,2 mm)
- 35mm panorama images
- 16mm films
- Electron microscope films
SilverFast 8 feature highlights
- The new SilverFast 8 Preview Concept allows to assess the results even for complicated image optimization functions, such as iSRD and USM, at any time. A 100% zoom facilitates to properly evaluate and set the parameters of these tools.
- The user interface of SilverFast 8 has been completely redeveloped according to current standards. The controls can be arranged flexibly and freely on the screen according to personal preferences. All major functions can be operated quickly and easily.
- SilverFast 8 is fully capable of multitasking. For example, if several originals are to be scanned one after another, the user can already set the image optimization options for the second scan while the scanner is digitizing the first original.
- SilverFast SCC is a tool to perform a selective color correction in a very simple manner. Selective color correction means that a single color is selected and changed specifically, but all other colors remain unchanged. A mouse click in the preview window easily selects the color to be changed: SilverFast's Selective Color Correction is particularly intuitive.
- The Global Color Correction is an intuitive tool for controlling the color balance of the whole image. Particularly older images often show color casts that can be removed easily with GCC. The possibility to restrict modifications to half and quarter tones, allows effortless optimization of even those color shifts that are only visible in the very light or very shadowy image areas.
- The WorkflowPilot is a wizard that guides the user in the correct order through all required processing steps. Depending on material and intended purpose there is a different workflow that will be worked on with the WorkflowPilot step by step.
- SilverFast HiRePP will dramatically speed up the process of loading and working large image files.
Scope of delivery
- Film scanner Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED (LS-9000 ED)
- SilverFast Ai Studio 8 / Archive Suite 8 according to your choice above
- IT-8 calibration slide according to your choice above
- Adobe® Photoshop® Elements according to your choice above
- Strip film holder FH-835S for 35mm film
- Slide mount holder FH-835M für mounted 35mm slides
- Strip film holder FH-869S for medium format film
- IEEE-1394 connection cable (6-pin)
- Power cable PW-53
- Scan software Nikon Scan 4 in English, German, French, Spanish, Dutch and Italian
- Detailed user guide
- Windows 64-bit systems: Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8, 10
- MAC 64-bit systems: Mac OS X from 10.7
- 2 GHz Processor or faster (Multi-core recommended)
- 2 GB RAM main memory (4 GB RAM recommended)
- 2 GB free space on hard disk drive for the software file
- Up to 20 GB free space on the main system hard disk drive for the cache
- DVD drive or internet connection
SilverFast 8 supports Photoshop CS3 to CS6 and CC.
(Photoshop CS6 and higher on OS X are only supported if 64 bit drivers are
available for the scanner.)
SilverFast 8 supports Photoshop Elements 8 to 13.
SilverFast 8 can also be installed on Windows as a TWAIN module.
Note: SilverFast 8 is Intel native software and thus it is not available for
PowerPC Mac systems (Those G4-microprocessors were only produced until the End of
When working with film strips it can often happen that you accidentally touch the emulsion side of the film. The damage often is irreparable. You can avoid damages to the film material and comfortably insert film strips into the scanner or film holder by wearing fine cotton gloves.
Anti-dust spray is used to clean film material - no matter if it's mounted slides or film strips - by removing dust and fluffs with a flimsy current of air without touching the film material at all. There is no better, more comfortable and more efficient way to clean your film material.
For working with single negatives or positives we highly recommend using tweezers, because otherwise you run the risk of touching and damaging the film.
If you work with digital images - no matter if they come from a digital camera or from a film scanner - you should calibrate your screen. Without a screen calibration performed with objective criteria you run the risk of wrongly adjusting the settings of the scan or the image editing software, which makes the image look right on your screen, but will cause unnatural alienated colours on other output devices (printer, image service, new screen).
An additional strip film holder makes scanning more efficient and easier because you can prepare the second one while the first one is still in the scanner. Then you only have to insert the second holder when the first one has finished. Particularly with medium format films this saves a lot of time, because inserting medium format films in the holder is very time consuming.
An additional slide holder makes scanning more efficient and pleasing because you can prepare the second one while the first one is still in the scanner. Then you only have to insert the second holder when the first one has finished.
An additional strip film holder makes scanning more efficient and pleasing because you can prepare the second one while the first one is still in the scanner. Then you only have to insert the second holder when the first one has finished.
With the slide mount holder FH-869-M you can scan mounted medium format slides from 4.5x6 to 6x9 cm. Two slides can be inserted in the holder at once.
The FH-869G is a universal film holder with a 20cm long glass plate. You can fix medium format films, 35mm panorama films and every other film material up to a size of 60 x 90 mm i this holder. Highly recommended for curled film material.
The FH-869GR is a universal film holder with a rotatable glass plate for exactly aligning the inserted film material. Highly recommended for curled film material and film fragments.