This scanner has been used in our training room for a long period. The sope of delivery conforms to that of a new device.
The Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED is a real alternative for very expensive drum scanners. The Super Coolscan 9000 is a award-winning medium format scanner which accepts virtually any format up to 6x9cm. The scanner provides an extremely good image quality at 4000 dpi resolution. As you can see on our film scanner ranking list
the Nikon LS-9000 ED is the top model among all film scanners ever built. It is exceeded only from the Hasselblad drum scanners. Additionally, it is the only scanner which provides very good results when scanning Kodachrome films, see our site about Kodachrome-Films
for more details.
As you can read in our detailed test report
about the Nikon LS-9000ED, there are numerous film holders
available for this device. Especially with the help of the glass holders almost any film up to a size of 6x9 cm can be scanned in best quality.
For those who put much importance to best image quality, there is no alternative to the Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED, except even more expensive drum scsanners. And even drum scanners don't have the automatic dust and scratch correction so that one can confidently designate the Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED as the best film scanner ever built. For further information please read our review on the Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED
The included scanning software NikonScan does not support current operating systems. In our software product group, you can find the SilverFast Ai Studio Scansoftware for the scanner so it can also be used with current operating systems.
Please, choose above, below the price information, if you want to order the scanner with or without Adobe® Photoshop® Elements.
- Optica resolution: 4000 dpi
- 16 Bit A/D conversion
- 48 Bit colour depth
- Density range: 4,8
- Scan area max: 56,9 x 83,7 mm
- Output colour depth 8 Bit or 16 Bit per colour channel
- Multiple scan
- Fast auto focus
- Digital ICE4 Advanced with Digital ICE Professional
- IEEE 1394 interface (Firewire)
- Light source: four components LED for R, G und B and infrared (for defects on the film surface)
- New improved image processing algorithm for scanning colour negatives
- Dimensions approx. (W x H x D) 249 x 202 x 499 mm
- Weight: approx. 9 kg
Supported film formats
- Medium format film (120/220)
- 35 mm film strips with up to 6 frames
- Mounted 35mm slides (mount thickness: 1 mm - 3,2 mm)
- 35mm panorama images
- 16mm films
- Electron microscope films
Scope of delivery
- Film scanner Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED (LS-9000 ED) - used
- Strip film holder FH-835S for 35mm film - used
- Slide mount holder FH-835M für mounted 35mm slides - used
- Strip film holder FH-869S for medium format film - used
- IEEE-1394 connection cable (6-pin)
- Power cable
- Scan software Nikon Scan 4 in English, German, French, Spanish, Dutch and Italian
- Detailed user guide
- PC with Windows 98 SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000 or Windows XP, Windows Vista 32bit; NOT 64bit-versions!
- Macintosh: Mac OS 9.1 or newer and Mac OS X 10.1.5 - 10.4.x, NikonScan does not run with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard - scanner can only be operated with SilverFast;
- Firewire interface
When working with film strips it can often happen that you accidentally touch the emulsion side of the film. The damage often is irreparable. You can avoid damages to the film material and comfortably insert film strips into the scanner or film holder by wearing fine cotton gloves.
Anti-dust spray is used to clean film material - no matter if it's mounted slides or film strips - by removing dust and fluffs with a flimsy current of air without touching the film material at all. There is no better, more comfortable and more efficient way to clean your film material.
For working with single negatives or positives we highly recommend using tweezers, because otherwise you run the risk of touching and damaging the film.
Those who work
with digital images - no matter if they come from a digital camera or from a film
scanner - should absolutely calibrate their screen. Without a screen calibration
performed with objective criteria you run the risk of wrongly adjusting the settings of
the scan or the image editing software, which makes the image look right on your
screen, but will cause unnatural alienated colours on other output devices (printer,
image service, new screen).
An additional strip film holder makes scanning more efficient and easier because you can prepare the second one while the first one is still in the scanner. Then you only have to insert the second holder when the first one has finished. Particularly with medium format films this saves a lot of time, because inserting medium format films in the holder is very time consuming.
An additional slide holder makes scanning more efficient and pleasing because you can prepare the second one while the first one is still in the scanner. Then you only have to insert the second holder when the first one has finished.
An additional strip film holder makes scanning more efficient and pleasing because you can prepare the second one while the first one is still in the scanner. Then you only have to insert the second holder when the first one has finished.
With the slide mount holder FH-869-M you can scan mounted medium format slides from 4.5x6 to 6x9 cm. Two slides can be inserted in the holder at once.
The FH-869G is a universal film holder with a 20cm long glass plate. You can fix medium format films, 35mm panorama films and every other film material up to a size of 60 x 90 mm i this holder. Highly recommended for curled film material.
The FH-869GR is a universal film holder with a rotatable glass plate for exactly aligning the inserted film material. Highly recommended for curled film material and film fragments.