The Reflecta MF-5000 is a high-class filmscanner both for medium formats and for 35mm films. The MF 5000 can process medium format films (120/220) in the sizes 6x4,5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x8, 6x9, 6x12 and 6x14 cm (positives and negatives). You can insert and scan medium format films up to a length of 6x14m into the standard medium format film holder. In the optionally available 22cm medium film strip holder
the scan area is 14cm and you can insert film strips up to a length of 22cm. The advantage is, that you don't have to cut film strips with e.g. three 6x6 pictures. You only have to rotate the film strip by 180° after scanning. 35mm films can be scanned either as mounted slides or film strips.
In the standard delivery content there are 3 film holders, in which the film material is inserted. In the medium format film holder there can be films inserted with a height of 6 cm up to a width of 14cm. In the 35mm slide mount holder up to 4 mounted slides can be inserted; in the 35mm film strip holder there can be inserted film strips (negatives or positives) up to a length of 6 frames. Since the scanner does not have an automatic film strip transport only the actually over the sensor positioned image can be scanned; after each scan the film holder has to be moved to the next position manually.
The Reflecta MF-5000 is a very fast scaner. For a 35mm slide or negative it needs only 1-2 minutes if the automatic dust and scratch removal function is on. Even for a 6x6cm medium format it needs only about 5 minutes. The scanning times vary from computer to computer and also depend from the scan settings, however, the scan speed is extremely good compared to other film scanners. Even if the MF-5000 does not have an automatic batch mode, one can scan a larage amount of slides and negatives in a pretty short time. Additionally to the scanning times one has to consider the time needed for the rework of the scans in the image editing program. If you don't have a good image editing program on your computer, we recommend you Adobe® Photoshop® Elements.
The image quality of the Reflecta MF-5000 is acceptable when operating it with the standard scan software CyberView, however, does not satisfy professional demands. In order to get a very good image quality you should operate the MF-5000 with the professional scan software SilverFast Ai Studio and do an IT-8 colour calibration before scanning.
Please, choose above, below the price information, between the SilverFast Ai Studio version and the SilverFast Archive Suite (Archive Suite = SilverFast Ai Studio + SilverFast HDR Studio). Also, please, choose above your desired targets (Kodak, Fuji, Kodachrome) for the IT-8 colour calibration. Detailed information about SilverFast and the available targets can be found on our SilverFast website. Information about SilverFast HDR can be found on our SilverFast HDR website. Information about scanner calibration can be found on our page Scanner IT-8 calibration.
Please, choose above, below the price information, if you want to order the scanner with or without Adobe® Photoshop® Elements.
With the Reflecta MF-5000 + SilverFast Ai Studio you can scan medium format films in a very good image quality. An alternative is the Braun FS-120
, which is funcionally identical, but has a higher effective resolution and is faster. Additionally, Braun Phototechnik offers a better an faster service than reflecta. If you have professional demands concerning image quality you should take a Hasselblad scanner
or a Nikon Super CoolScan 9000 ED
- Optical resolution: 3200 dpi
- Colour depth: 48 Bit
- Density range: 3,6 Dmax
- Fix focus
- Image sensor: Linear Array Color CCD
- Lamp: white LEDs and infrared LEDs
- Scan area max: 24,3 x 36,5 mm / 118 x 56,9 mm
- Ports: USB 2.0
- MAGIC TOUCH Technology
- Dimensions: 320x165x160 mm (L x W x H)
- Weight: approx. 5,3 kg
Compatible film formats
- 35mm negative and positive as film strips
- Mounted 35mm slides (5 x 5 cm, max. thickness 3,2 mm)
- Medium formats 6x4,5 cm, 6x6 cm, 6x7 cm, 6x8 cm, 6x9 cm, 6x12 cm, 6x14 cm (negative and positive)
SilverFast 8 feature highlights
- The new SilverFast 8 Preview Concept allows to assess the results even for complicated image optimization functions, such as iSRD and USM, at any time. A 100% zoom facilitates to properly evaluate and set the parameters of these tools.
- The user interface of SilverFast 8 has been completely redeveloped according to current standards. The controls can be arranged flexibly and freely on the screen according to personal preferences. All major functions can be operated quickly and easily.
- SilverFast 8 is fully capable of multitasking. For example, if several originals are to be scanned one after another, the user can already set the image optimization options for the second scan while the scanner is digitizing the first original.
- SilverFast SCC is a tool to perform a selective color correction in a very simple manner. Selective color correction means that a single color is selected and changed specifically, but all other colors remain unchanged. A mouse click in the preview window easily selects the color to be changed: SilverFast's Selective Color Correction is particularly intuitive.
- The Global Color Correction is an intuitive tool for controlling the color balance of the whole image. Particularly older images often show color casts that can be removed easily with GCC. The possibility to restrict modifications to half and quarter tones, allows effortless optimization of even those color shifts that are only visible in the very light or very shadowy image areas.
- The WorkflowPilot is a wizard that guides the user in the correct order through all required processing steps. Depending on material and intended purpose there is a different workflow that will be worked on with the WorkflowPilot step by step.
- SilverFast HiRePP will dramatically speed up the process of loading and working large image files.
Scope of delivery
- Scanner MF 5000
- Slide holder for 4 mounted slides up to 3,2 mm thickness
- Film holder for film strips with up to 6 frames
- 22cm medium format holder
- Scansoftware: Cyberview
- SilverFast Ai Studio 8 / Archive Suite 8 (according to your choice above)
- 35mm IT-8 calibration targets (according to your choice above)
- Adobe® Photoshop® Elements (according to your choice above)
- Windows 64-bit systems: Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8, 10
- MAC 64-bit systems: Mac OS X from 10.7
- 2 GHz Processor or faster (Multi-core recommended)
- 2 GB RAM main memory (4 GB RAM recommended)
- 2 GB free space on hard disk drive for the software file
- Up to 20 GB free space on the main system hard disk drive for the cache
- DVD drive or internet connection
- Latest firmware installed on scanner device
SilverFast 8 supports Photoshop CS3 to CS6 and CC.
(Photoshop CS6 and higher on OS X are only supported if 64 bit drivers are
available for the scanner.)
SilverFast 8 supports Photoshop Elements 8 to 13.
SilverFast 8 can also be installed on Windows as a TWAIN module.
Note: SilverFast 8 is Intel native software and thus it is not available for
PowerPC Mac systems (Those G4-microprocessors were only produced until the End of
One medium format film strip older is already included in the delivery content of the Reflecta MF-5000. With a second film strip holder you can load it while the other one is inside the scanner. That saves time and makes scanning more effective and comfortable.
One such slide mount holder is already included in the delivery content of the Reflecta MF-5000. With a second slide mount holder you can load it while the other one is inside the scanner. That saves time and makes scanning more effective and comfortable.
One such film strip holder is already included in the delivery content of the Reflecta MF-5000. With a second film strip holder you can load it while the other one is inside the scanner. That saves time and makes scanning more effective and comfortable.
When working with film strips it can often happen that you accidentally touch the emulsion side of the film. The damage often is irreparable. You can avoid damages to the film material and comfortably insert film strips into the scanner or film holder by wearing fine cotton gloves.
Anti-dust spray is used to clean film material - no matter if it's mounted slides or film strips - by removing dust and fluffs with a flimsy current of air without touching the film material at all. There is no better, more comfortable and more efficient way to clean your film material.
For working with single negatives or positives we highly recommend using tweezers, because otherwise you run the risk of touching and damaging the film.
If you work with digital images - no matter if they come from a digital camera or from a film scanner - you should calibrate your screen. Without a screen calibration performed with objective criteria you run the risk of wrongly adjusting the settings of the scan or the image editing software, which makes the image look right on your screen, but will cause unnatural alienated colours on other output devices (printer, image service, new screen).